Central United Methodist Church, Meridian, MS 39301
Central United Methodist Church has been a part of our community since the first Methodists came to Lauderdale County in 1852. These Methodists worshipped in a log cabin and depended on circuit riders to conduct their services.
Between 1885 and 1888, the church --sometimes called First Church -- became known as Central. The brick and stone structure burned to the ground in 1913. The congregation met in the Lauderdale County Courthouse for six years as a new building was built on the present location. The cornerstone was laid on August 11, 1918 and the new church was opened for use on August 10, 1919.In 1885, when the congregation decided to build a new brick and stone building, the log building was again moved by oxen where it became the Fifth Street Methodist Church.
The congregation moved several times -- from one log structure into another frame and log building that was also used as barracks during the Civil War. This structure was eventually moved by oxen to four downtown lots that had been purchased.
Boy Scout Troop 0002
Scoutmaster: John Barefield [email protected]
Chartered Organization Representative: Jonathan Crabtree
Chartered Organization Representative:
Venturing Crew Advisor:
|Scout Group Type|