Greater Mt. Nebo AME Church, Bowie, MD 20716
The Mt. Nebo African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded on June 8, 1877 under the pastorate of Rev. N. Gray, as part of a circuit that included Galilee AME church in Anne Arundel County. The first sanctuary was built by three trustees, Richard Wood, George Larkins, and Wilson Turner, who purchased a one-acre tract of land in the “Popular Ridge” area of Prince Georges County, at a cost of $134.55. The church was erected adjacent to a “colored” schoolhouse that had been built in 1875. The original church was a log structure which was destroyed by fire in 1919.
In 1920, the first building fund was established, under the pastorate of Rev. J. T. Bailey, when members were asked to put away a penny a day for a month to raise the necessary funds for construction of a new church on Queen Anne Road in Mitchellville, MD. Additionally, members paid ten cents per Sunday for “class dues” to support the ongoing operating expenses of the church.
|Scout Group Type|
- Cub Scout Pack
- Boy Scout Troop